Why should we support Canadian music? Why does Canadian Music matter? Why should pianists play music by Canadian composers? Here are 5 reasons why:
1. To promote awareness and education of Canadian music to the wider public. Canadians make fantastic music. Everybody should know about it…and not just the Canadians!
2. To learn about the various influences that have shaped Canada and its music. Many events and cultures played a part in creating the Canada that exists today; these influences are often reflected in Canadian music. Studying Canadian music is a way to learn about Canada’s history and to connect with its landscape and inhabitants.
3. To preserve Canadian cultural heritage. Bringing attention to Canadian music is a way of making these works heard and accessible to all and to maintain them for future generations to enjoy.
4. To showcase Canadian talent. Canada has some incredibly bright and talented individuals who regularly contribute to our vibrant arts scene. We want to show our recognition and support to these individuals: composers, teachers, and young pianists for what they do.
5. To support further development of new music in Canada. We want to inspire and promote creativity in young Canadian musicians so that they will continue to enrich Canadian Arts.
Piano lessons are an excellent platform for exposing students to music that they may not have explored otherwise. In a world full of music and music makers, it is wonderful to know that there is an abundance of high quality music coming from home soil.