Private 1:1 lessons
AGES & LEVELS OF STUDENTS:
I accept students age 5+ including Adult learners of all stages of life. I work with complete beginners up to RCM Gr. 10 Level.
STUDENTS WILL LEARN:
1. Piano repertoire – how to play music in the Western Classical Music tradition with a sprinkle of music that I am partial to. (At the moment, I’m into works by Canadian & Female composers.) I will teach contemporary styles of music such as pop, musical theatre, rock, film music, or video game music if students request it. I will also teach students to play jazz inspired music in notated form but am, unfortunately, not qualified to properly teach jazz piano.
2. Healthy piano technique – how to play the instrument effectively & expressively.
3. Musicianship skills – how to listen to music, to play by ear, to read music notation, to compose, improvise, arrange, perform, and accompany other instrumentalists.
I generally adhere to the Royal Conservatory of Music and Conservatory Canada levelled piano certificate programs, depending on each student’s goals. I will prepare students for piano examinations if they choose to do so.
In person lessons are taught at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, 73 Simcoe Street in Downtown Toronto. Students will take lessons on a 1982 refurbished Kawai UST-7 Studio Upright, tuned several times per year by a Registered Piano Technician.
*Please note that I do not offer in-home piano lessons. Students may play on St. Andrew’s Bösendorfer Imperial Concert Grand if they choose to perform in the studio’s semiannual recitals.
My students’ safety is of the utmost importance to me, especially during COVID-19 times.
1. Scheduling – Lessons canceled due to COVID symptoms or from having close contact with an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19 are rescheduled or switched to an online format. In-Person piano lessons are booked in a staggered schedule to reduce contact between students.
2. Sanitization – Hand sanitizer is provided to students for use before and after their lessons. Doorknobs, piano keys, and other surfaces are wiped down between each piano student according to standards recommended by Public Health Ontario. An industrial grade air purifier is run at all times in the piano studio.
3. At the lesson – The piano studio capacity is limited to 2 people at a time: Myself + Student, both masked for the entire duration of the lesson. I am triple vaccinated and teach from a secondary instrument.
Synchronous online lessons are taught via Zoom. I utilize highspeed internet, multiple cameras, and professional mics to ensure high sound and picture quality.
SCHEDULE, LENGTH AND FREQUENCY OF LESSONS:
My teaching schedule is Mondays-Fridays between 2-9pm. No weekend or morning lessons.
Most students begin with one 45 min. lesson per week and then increase from there.
Consultation lessons as well as lessons taken on a biweekly (every other week) basis are also available to adult learners. Students may choose to take lessons in a hybrid format alternating on a set ratio of in-person to online lessons.
$25 trial lesson fee.
$40 registration fee.
$3.50/lesson Sanitation fee – for In Person Lessons only.
Lesson rates starting at $63.00 / 45 min. lesson and up – prepaid by month or by term.
Students are recommended to commit to at least one year of lessons, which is at least 34 weekly lessons per academic year.
Fees for books, materials, and instruments are additional.
1. Non-compulsory, performance events such as: Recitals, Ontario Registered Music Teacher Association auditions, Music festivals, and Community programs,
2. Special projects such as: Silent movie soundtracks, Canadian music intensives, Ensemble work, Composition contests, and Practice challenges.
3. Access to my music library of scores, books, digital materials, and manipulatives.